Pepper: Download Counter
I happily installed Mint this weekend, and couldn’t resist tinkering with it’s Pepper plugin structure. The result is Download Counter, and addition which tracks file downloads linked from your site. I must say that, for the most part, I am impressed with the planning that has gone into Mint. Shaun did a great job.
Update 4/19/2007: Updated for Mint 2.0.
There were only a few places that I wished I had an extra hook, but in general, the Plugin interface is top-notch. Creating the install and preferences procedures was especially simple.
The plugin works by specifying a comma separated list of file extensions you wish to track on your site e.g. zip,pdf,mp3,mpg,jpg Mint will then automagically reforward the files through a download script to register their delivery, so you don’t need to touch any code whatsoever. It’s that easy. Downloads begin tracking immediately.
There are a few limitations to this method, just like any other:;/p>
- Files must be linked to from an
hrefmust point directly to the file.
- Files must be linked to from a page where Mint is activated.
- If other sites link directly to your files, they will not be recorded. But that’s just lame anyway.
Installation is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Just download the files, unzip, and copy the
orderedlistdirectory into your
/mint/pepperfolder. To clarify, the final file destinations should be in
- Login to your Mint installation and in the Preferences click “Install” under
- Click the Download Counter Pepper “Install” button. Click “Okay.”
- Now click on the Download Counter preferences under Pepper in the preferences pane.
- In the box, type a comma separated list of file extensions to track, eg. zip,pdf,mp3
- Click “Done.”
Help and Support
If you encounter problems, have questions, or come up with any suggestions, please contact me and I’ll do what I can to help.
If you feel so inclined, donations of any amount are always appreciated, and help keep me motivated to develop more feature-rich plugins and software. Thanks for your support, and enjoy.